Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What's in a name?

I began writing the outline today for Shudder. The story has grown quite a bit. Within the first half hour of outlining, a new character was born. I feel odd saying “born,” because she is quite grandmotherly. So, between looking over a mass of notes written in various notebooks, on random sheets of loose paper, not to mention in the notepad app on my phone, I’d say things are moving along at a slow and steady pace. Whereas, for a while before, they weren’t moving along at all.

The only snag is I can’t seem to decide on a name for one of my main characters. I’m leaning towards “Sebastian,” but I recently discovered the name “Orin,” and I began to doubt my previous choice. Mind you, this character’s name has been changed no less than four times since 2004, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I see scrawled, ‘For a good time call Edelbert,” on a bathroom stall and decide it would be the perfect name for my guy. That’s a far-fetched scenario though. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment